Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Can I Call My Mom???

I am not a parent, and I won't even pretend to know what it's like, but recently I have noticed more than ever the little products of amazing parenting that I get to see everyday. People say teachers have the most thankless jobs, but I think the title goes to the folks our kiddos call Mom and Dad....and even those grandparents, too. Children enter my room prepared with supplies and assignments and their hair and teeth brushed (well..usually :) ) There are children who are polite and kind and respectful. There are students who share.  There are those who care about the feelings of others and who go out of their way to help. There are those who don't see "special needs" but just unique friends. I have children who have confidence without being arrogant and who have the work ethic to keep getting better. That did not happen by accident. I have students who giggle telling me about the silly thing dad did on the road trip or the funny look mom gave when they told her they had a project due the next morning. I have children who have grandma's voice in their heads telling them that they matter when they sometimes feel like they don't.  I have kids with the most fun senses of humor...those who make me laugh...who have learned to laugh when things don't go their way....and who keep. on. going. I have students who sometimes have middle school brain and forget their shoes for practice or their music for after school rehearsal or their math book for the third time that week. Those parents are a phone call away and so often they are the ones who save the days at our school. Those parents are the ones that never lose the faith when we often wonder if their kids will ever quit ending sentences with prepositions or begin using commas in the right places. They are the ones who question us because they want what's best....and the ones who encourage their kiddos to rise above circumstances when sometimes we fail them.  While teachers get an appreciation week and the moms, dads, and grandparents only get a day each...this teacher notices their sacrifice. So....if you are one of those parents of young children posting pics of first birthdays and lost teeth and homes you can't get clean thanks to Fisher Price....keep it up. Someday, somewhere - perhaps  in a middle school classroom - someone is going to appreciate what you are doing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment